8/21/14

Pharast 15th, 656 AR

Our luck has continued. Last few days have been very peaceful and outside of a light rain the yesterday morning, the weather has been very agreeable too. 

Chiyo continues to be an endless source of amusement. Baoji for whatever reason has become her target for numerous tricks and teasing. Keisuke only puts up the most minimal resistance against it and every time it happens I see Aiko's eyes practically glowing with delight. I think I mentioned previously that Chiyo reminds me of a young Aiko. Over the last couple days I could have sworn they were sisters instead!

I'm currently writing by the warm camp-fire. Everyone has dozed off...mostly. Chiyo is currently stuffing a frog into Baoji's boot while trying to stifle her giggles (pretty badly). I'm pretending not to see her. The morning should be amusing again suffice to say. She'd have been caught I suspect if Baoji hadn't got so heavily into the sake earlier and also wasn't snoring so loud. He'll learn...probably.

On a more serious topic, I've been trying to remember more of what Grandfather told me while he was alive. It was pretty foolish to have always dismissed so many of the lessons he was imparting...but I was a pretty arrogant little brat at the time. In any case, a number of memories have resurfaced as of late and I'll try write them down near the back of the journal in another section with as much detail as I can. 

One thing that came up in quite a few of the memories was song as strange as it seems. Grandfather played the ocarina quite well, but even that isn't really what I was talking about (though it might be related). The first time he saved us, he wanted me to hum him a tune while he fought. Every time we ran into bandits or some manner of monster on the road, I still remember him humming or singing as I knew he was fighting. 

Now it's almost too easy to simply dismiss it as the fact he didn't want Aiko or me to hear what was going on. Singing or humming, whether it was him or us doing it, would have helped to quiet the din of the bloody battles going on or at least help take our minds off it. 

Part of me wonders if there wasn't more to it than that. I seem to vaguely recall him at one point telling me something about that. Using it as a...rhythm and treating the swordplay like a dance?  I wish I could remember what he said more clearly now that I've grown and might be able to make more sense of it! 

My turn at watch is nearly done in any case. Time to wake up Keisuke and turn in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment