8/18/14

Pharast 5th, 656 AR

*This entry is marked with numerous crimson stains and dried droplets of blood, like something out of a horror novel*

So painful. Aches and agony all over. That was the closest I've been to death in a long time now. Even now it hurts to write. All that pain though doesn't even get close to how heart-wrenching the look on Aiko’s face was. There was a reason I tried to keep her away from this life and at safety at the temple.

I suppose I should start at the beginning, though…

I spotted an attack on an unsuspecting caravan while we were travelling today. It turned out a raiding party of orcs (I believe there was ten of them) had assaulted a family caravan on its way (I presume) to Tenshi Village. They had not noticed us so we established a plan and moved around through the forest to try set up some traps and catch them off guard.

The wind betrayed our position before we had a chance. They opened up with a javelin volley as a handful of their warriors rushed in. I admit the battle is a bit blurry in my mind now, but it went downhill pretty quickly. They had us outnumbered and their weapons found their marks far more often than any of us would have liked.

We had killed a handful before I made a grave misstep and took one of their javelins deep in the chest. It left me open and one of the orcs seized the chance when I was busy parrying the attack of his companion. I dropped then and there, a bloody mess on the ground.

The others filled me in that it was Keisuke’s spell that almost halved their number, something about rainbows and light. Sis eliminated the leader more or less on her own with Master Motaga’s glaive.

I'm not even sure what else to say. I feel like a failure and that I let the rest down. Sis just seems glad I am alright, but what use is a Brother that can’t even keep those he treasures safe? I fear Grandfather is looking down on me with much disappointment tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment